In Daring Greatly, Brené Brown writes about numbing behaviors that we use as armor to protect us from hard things, from being vulnerable, and from being responsible. Maybe you think numbing doesn’t apply to you, because you’re not hooked on drugs or alcohol. But I say, hear this, Brown says, “One of the most universal numbing strategies is what I call crazy-busy. I often say that when they start having 12-step meetings for busy-aholics, they’ll need to rent out football stadiums. We are a culture of people who’ve bought into the idea that if we stay busy enough, the truth of our lives won’t catch up with us.”
Ouch! Does this ring true for anyone but me?
When we get off the hamster wheel of busyness, we are forced to notice what comes up for us when we’re not busy. Could we be focusing on our health, our passion, our relationships, what we need to do to build stable income and wealth in our lives instead of doing mundane things that keep us busy? If this has caught your attention today, you may be addicted to being crazy-busy!
Here are five hard-hitting questions you can ask yourself to get a handle on if you are experiencing this addiction:
- Can I recognize when I am feeling bored? How uncomfortable am I with feelings of boredom? Do I try to do something unhealthy (snacking in the pantry, anyone?) when you are bored?
- How afraid am I of being ordinary? What scares me about being extraordinary at something?
- Do I tend to feel unworthy and unlovable unless I’m overachieving? Am I a people-pleaser? Why then do I not consider doing something that will help me?
- Can I say no to something I don’t want to do? What stops me from saying no? What tools or actions can I put into place to help me say no to things I don’t want to do?
- Do you schedule some time each day for yourself? Why not? (Don’t you dare say…”because I am too busy!” :).
If you find that being busy is a way to hide from really knowing and doing something that will help you reach your potential, then you are deep in addiction and we need an intervention. Let’s talk about how I can help coach you to help you be the best you can be.
Bonus: Learn how turtles help each other get unstuck. This is fascinating.