What Are Essential Oils?
You’ve seen them on store shelves, you’ve smelled them on the person sitting next to you on the airplane, or maybe you even have a few bottles sitting on your bedside table—but what are essential oils exactly? Are they simply a fancy beauty product? Are they a new fad that’ll soon pass?
If you’ve never used essential oils, or if just have limited experience with them, they might seem like a complete mystery. The truth is, millions of people use essential oils every single day for things like cooking, cleaning, personal hygiene, fitness, sleep, overall health, and more.
What is an essential oil? So, what are essential oils? Scientifically speaking, essential oils are volatile aromatic compounds. In less scientific terms, they are the essence of plants, taken from roots, bark, flowers, seeds, and other plant parts. Did you know that an essential oil is what gives a plant its scent? Essential oils can also protect a plant from predators or environmental conditions.
How long have essential oils been around?
Not only do millions around the world enjoy essential oils today, but they’ve been utilized by dozens of cultures throughout history. Though it might seem like you only started hearing about essential oils within the last few years, they’ve actually been in use for hundreds of years. Ancient civilizations used plant extracts for things like healthcare, aromatherapy, beauty treatments, food preparation—the list goes on. In modern times, we’ve perfected the use of plants in everyday life, and finally have the technology to truly harness the power of the earth.
What are essential oils good for?
Those who are new to essential oils might be wondering, “What do I use them for?” If you’ve had a bottle of essential oil on your kitchen counter or in your closet for a while and aren’t exactly sure how to use it, you’re not alone. The good news? Learning how to use essential oils is easy. Like the peoples of the ancient world, we too have dozens of practical applications for essential oils today.
For example, essential oils can be used to:
· Promote healthy-looking skin.
· Cleanse the air and eliminate odors.
· Help maintain a healthy respiratory system and feelings of clear breathing.*
· Support good oral hygiene.*
· Promote healthy digestion.*
· Create an uplifting atmosphere.
· And more!
As you can see, there are plenty of applications for essential oils in our daily lives. Here are a few examples of ways you can use essential oils if you’re just starting out.
· Diffuse a few drops of essential oil using a diffuser.
· Place a drop of oil in your hands, rub your palms together, and inhale deeply.
· Apply essential oils to the wrists and wear as a personal fragrance.
· Add a drop of oil to your moisturizer or face cleanser to promote healthy-looking skin (try essential oils like Lavender oil or Frankincense oil for this). · Put a few drops in a glass of water for internal benefits (Lemon oil and Grapefruit oil work well for this).
Don’t wait another day to experience the amazing benefits of essential oils. Still wondering how to use essential oils? It’s easier than you might think. Just click on the link “Essential Oils” above.
March 21, 2020